Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® Certification
Myotherapy is a method of relieving muscle-related pain and dysfunction due to muscle spasm.
Myotherapy has two functions: To relieve pain and raise the level of fitness. “The two are interdependent. You must be pain free in order to exercise and you must do specific exercises to keep pain at bay.” Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy, Bonnie Prudden’s Complete Guide to Pain-Free Living.
When Bonnie first developed Myotherapy, she discovered that there were many more trigger points and places in which to look for trigger points than had been previously noted. Dr. Tivy felt that this was Bonnie’s key contribution. After treating hundreds of patients, comparing their histories and noting patterns of pain and corresponding trigger points, she developed a system of points, lines and corrective exercises for the various symptoms and muscle groups. These points and lines have evolved into “Quick Fix, Basics and Clean Out.
QUICK FIX MYOTHERAPY uses the fewest number of points possible to erase pain quickly and when time is limited. These are the points most directly related to the area of pain. The trigger point work is followed by passive stretches as the patient lies on the table and one or two corrective movements are shown to the patient to be done at home following the treatment. Quick Fix may or may not be long lasting as there are usually trigger points (covered in basic or clean-out techniques) in muscle groups further away from the area of pain and which are secondary cause of the pain.
BASIC LINES builds on Quick Fix. It addresses more of the muscle group and adds more points to each line. It is used where there is known involvement in order to remove as much of the pain and dysfunction as possible. The purpose is to cover an area thoroughly in order to obtain best results and longer lasting relief.
A complete history of the patient in needed in order to determine how their muscles have been used/misused/not used throughout their lifetime. This history gives the therapist clues as to which muscle groups need to be treated and also which corrective movements are appropriate in order to maintain muscles free of spasm and pain.
CLEAN-OUT LINES are very specific patterns and are used when basic lines are not enough. After using Quick Fix and Basic Lines the pain is usually narrowed down to a limited area. They involve a greater number of points and lines and a variety of angles in the area to be determined as the “hold out”.
Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy Certification Program
THE TRAINING: The program is divided into three LEVELS. I, II, III. Each LEVEL is divided into three phases.
PURPOSE: To train individuals in Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® and Corrective Movement
ELIGIBILITY: In order to practice Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® legally, you will need to hold a current state and/or national license. However, the course is open to anyone, and it is not necessary to complete Phase II and III if you do not wish to practice and are coming solely for your own learning experience.
LOCATION & HOTEL INFORMATION: All workshops are held at the LaQuinta Inns & Suites, 102 N. Alvernon Way, Tucson, AZ 85711 (across from Reid Park). To book your hotel room and receive a corporate discount, call 800-753-3757 or 520-795-0330 and use the code Bonni7. To make your reservations online go to www.laquintatucsonreidpark.com. Enter arrival and departure dates and click on options. Type Bonni7 in the box. Your corporate discount will show what your rate is during that timeframe.
Level 1 Certification
LEVEL I 28 CE Hours NCBTMB APPROVED QUICK FIX: Leading to the title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy ® Technician. This course has been approved by the AzPTA for 28 continuing competence contact hours. Arizona licensed physical therapists are urged to review Arizona Administrative Code R4-24-402 prior to committing to this or any course to meet their continuing competence requirements.
PHASE I WORKSHOP This 28 hour, in-person, hands on instruction workshop will prepare Trainees to treat Patients utilizing Bonnie Prudden “Quick Fix” Myotherapy and Corrective Movements.
- Learn Quick-Fix points and lines
- Learn proper techniques
- Learn passive and corrective movement
- Learn Kraus-Weber (K-W) test and correctives
- Patient Intake- history, taking and interpreting
- Treatment Plans: sequence of points and lines as it pertains to patient’s intake; corrective movement
- Treatment notes: development and notation of
- Subsequent session planning: development and practice
Phase II Practicum
- Patient treatment: Trainee will, at a minimum, treat 5 patients with at least 5 different problems (i.e. wrist, back, knee, hip, ankle, shoulder, headache, etc.,), treat each for at least 3 sessions
- Treatment plan: trainee will prepare all patient notes, i.e., intake, daily notes, treatment plans, results, etc.
- Treatment Evaluations: all notes will be submitted and will be evaluated by Instructors
- NOTE: Additional treatments and/or training may be required in order to prepare the trainee for the final phase which is Board Exams. This is to be determined by the instructors and/or Testers following the evaluation process
Phase III Board Exams
Board Exams are an additional $150.00. The $150.00 fee includes the Practical, Oral and Written testing, and lasts about 60 – 90 minutes.
- Written: may be sent in
- Oral: is done in person
- Practical: must be tested by tester in person
Trainees will be tested on the following:
- History and principles of Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy
- Therapist techniques
- Myotherapy techniques
- Quick-Fix Points and lines
- Anatomy as it pertains to Quick Fix Myotherapy
- Passive stretches
- Corrective Movements
- History, origins, uses and application of the Kraus-Weber Test
- Ability to give the Kraus-Weber Test and correctives
- Ability to put together treatment plan(s) for various types of pain
- Ability to give Patient Corrective Movement as well as to correct the movements.
Once a trainee has taken the Level I class, successfully completed the practicum and passed all Board Exams, he/she will hold the title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy Technician
LEVELS II AND III FOLLOW THE SAME THREE PHASES
Level II Basic Lines: Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® Practitioner Certification
28 CE hours NCBTMB Approved Provider #022185-00 – AZAPT Approved
LEVEL II BASIC LINES CERTIFICATION CLASS: Leading to the title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Practitioner
Level III Clean Out: Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® Myotherapist Certification
28 CE hours NCBTMB Approved Provider #022185-00 – AZAPT Approved
Level III CLEAN OUT LINES CERTIFICATION CLASS: leading to title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Myotherapist